top of page

Coverage from Previous Employer

COBRA or Retiree Coverage

  • COBRA is a federal law that may let you keep your employer group health planThis is called "continuation coverage." coverage for a limited time after your employment ends or you lose coverage as a dependent of the covered employee. 

  • You should enroll in  Part A and Part B when you turn 65.

  • If you have COBRA before signing up for Medicare, your COBRA will probably end once you sign up. You have 8 months to sign up for Part B without a penalty, whether or not you choose COBRA. If you miss this period, you'll have to wait until January 1 - March 31 to sign up, and your coverage will start July 1. This may cause a gap in your coverage, and you may have to pay a lifetime Part B late enrollment penalty.

*Resources referenced are from We are not affiliated with any government agency. Last accessed Feb 2022

bottom of page